Sunday 3 January 2016

Australian wallabies thriving in Mid Wales UK..


The exotic animals synonymous with Australia have been spotted several times in woods near Lake Vyrnwy in Powys 


It's true - there ARE wallabies on the loose in North Wales.
Breeder Stuart Robertson, 68, lost all three of his wallabies when Storm Desmond brought a tree down which broke the fence of his compound.
The animals escaped from the fenced area at Llyn Fyrnwy (Vyrnwy), Llanwddyn, Powys, roughly a month ago.
One was killed when it was struck by a car but Mr Robertson believes Sheila (the mother) and the baby (Joey) are still alive and thriving in a forest nearby.
He said: “They’ll be doing quite well I imagine, they’re just like sheep really, they eat grass.
“I do hear reports from neighbours every now and then saying they’ve been seen and it’s nice to hear.
“I’ll never be able to catch them again now they’re wild but as long as they’re doing well it could be worse.
“They’ve got no homing instinct at all because they can survive so well on their own,”

Before Christmas Chris Hall, 44, from Hope , Flintshire and his mates Phil Wade and Donato Villan were cycling near Llyn Fyrnwy (Vyrnwy) when they claim to have seen a wallaby nonchalantly sitting on his two hind feet.
Mr Robertson thinks it was probably one of his.
“I’m almost certain it’ll be one of mine. Funnily enough there aren’t many around this part of Wales.
“I really did enjoy looking after them, I’ve been doing it for years now.
“Sheep just seemed a bit dull so I thought I’d give wallabies a go.
“Some people have told me they’re worried about them but wallabies aren’t vicious at all.
“I thought I might be able to domesticate them a bit, to train them to answer my name, but I’ve had no luck really.
“People should not be concerned.”
As well as being the nickname for Australia’s international rugby team, a wallaby is a small- or mid-sized macropod found in Australia and New Guinea and they belong to the same family as kangaroos.

Dailypost

No comments:

Post a Comment